Expresswhey JA’s Cranberry
A blended nutritional smoothie can be one of the most healthful of modern foods. As a stand-alone meal or as an after-workout recovery drink, a well-orchestrated smoothie is convenient, transported easily, delicious, and nutritious. In addition, a list of potential smoothie ingredients is so extensive that the possible variations in flavor, texture, and nutritional wallop are virtually infinite. Having experimented with hundreds of different smoothie recipes over the past fifty years, I share my current favorite. Introducing:
The Cranberry Expresswhey!
In a high-powered blender:
- Pour 12-16 ounces of coffee, herbal tea, almond milk, or water;
- Add ½ cup of fresh organic, unsweetened cranberries;
- Add 1 Tablespoon of organic coconut oil and 1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter from pastured cows (or 2 Tablespoons of the one you prefer).
Start the blender at a slow speed. Increase the speed gradually until all ingredients are broken down and mixed thoroughly. With the blender still running, add gradually:
- 2 ounces of whey protein powder from pasture-raised cows or goats;
- 2 Tablespoons each of:
organic flax seeds,
organic chia seeds, and
organic sesame seeds;
- 1 Tablespoon each of:
organic walnuts, pecans, or brazil nuts,
organic concentrated vegetable powder (e.g. Greens First),
organic brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast,
organic cacao, vanilla, or maca powder;
- One teaspoon of organic cinnamon powder.
- Add gradually 4-8 ounces more of your preferred liquid and blend until all ingredients are whipped into a smooth consistency. If you are drinking some immediately, add ice cubes and blend until liquified. If you are saving all or some until later, pour into jars, seal, and refrigerate.
This concoction—loaded with protein, fiber, and highly beneficial fats—provides at least two large servings of nutritional dynamite!